Something for everyone but the faint at heart. Critical care nursing vent-a-blog, on line dating after 40, animal adventures, cooking and gardening tips. Warning: May be offensive, crude and politically incorrect. Stories in the blog may be based on fact and may also be wildly exaggerated, at my will and imaginative discretion. The character names are changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent and to keep my ass from getting sued.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

dumpin Grandma off


I worked last night so I'm a little brain drained this am. But I wanted to write about people who take their dear ole Grandma off to the hospital and leave her alone at night. There's probably a good dozen of the nice family milling around and demanding stuff during the day for dear ole Grandma. But at night, it's just her and me, plus the rest of her newfound family of nurses. I had one such patient last night. For the most part she was alert but at times her evil twin, Dementia, showed her ugly head. This little lady was 91 years old, all of 4 ft tall, and she didn't sleep a wink all night. "I want to sit up, I want to stand up, I want in the chair, I'm ready to get back in bed. I have to pee (has a foley) and I'm gonna pee all over this bed in a minute. I got to take a shit now. I'll shit everywhere! Where's my daughter? I know I heard her talking out there. Hey you, Nurse, come help me. I have to get up. I'm ready to go home" This went on for 12 hours. We even tried to put her in a cardiac chairs and out in the nurses area so she could sit with us. She was a cute little old lady, a real pistal, and a pain in the ass. We didn't restrain her but she kept us running into the room all night. And she got absolutely no rest. This is the 2nd night she has been with us and I am told she did the same on the first night. The dayshift nurses even asked if someone from the family could stay with her. What kind of people leave their 91 year old, demented mother by herself at night in a big hospital?


1 comment:

  1. What kind of people leave their mom alone all night in a hospital? Maybe people who work all day, who have their children to take care of, who aren't in the best of health themselves, who are just getting through every day, but barely getting by and have no strength to work all day and stay up all night with mom. Mom, who truth be told, was a sweet little old lady who never stood up for them , never encouraged them, only ripped them to shreds every opportunity she had all their life long, and in general did things to them as young children which are now commonly seen as child abuse. If they got her into hospital care, they did well.

    ReplyDelete